Celebrate a Vegan Holiday
Chances are, if you’re hosting a holiday feast this year, you’ll have at least one friend or family member who will be a little flustered by the feathered fowl at the center of the table. For either ethical or health reasons, many people are making the switch to a vegetarian or vegan diet.
These delicious recipes will please every palate giving everyone—including animals—something to be thankful for this holiday season.
Appetizers and Snacks
- Creamy Artichoke Dip
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Raw Holiday Walnuts
- Vegetarian Pâté en Croûte
- Potato-Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms
- ‘Sausage’ Rolls
- Spiced Party Nuts
- ‘Cheesy’ French Bread Hors d’Oeuvre
Soups and Salads
- Roasted Apple and Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- ‘Cream’ of Asparagus Soup
- Fragrant French Onion Soup
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Bisque
- Stuffed Vidalia Onion-Ring Salad With Fresh Greens and Tangy Yuzo Vinaigrette
- Spinach, Oranges, and Roasted Beets With Georgia-Peanut Vinaigrette
- Savory Stuffed Squash
- Sage- and Pumpkin Seed-Encrusted Seitan With Roasted Garlic-Pumpkin Sauce
- Savory Pot Pie
- ‘Chicken’ and Dumplings
- Rosemary- and Hazelnut-Encrusted Seitan
- Wheatmeat Roulade With Chestnut ‘Sausage’ Stuffing
- Vegan Autumn Harvest Casserole
- Cashew Nut Roast
- Almost ‘Beef’ Wellington
- ‘Chicken’ & Mushroom Duxelle en Croûte
- Maple-Sriracha Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Cranberry Wild Rice
- Creamy Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Best Ever Green Bean Bake
- Cranberry Relish
- Cider Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Braised Rainbow Chard
- Green Beans With Fresh Cranberries
- Herb Stuffing
- Rosemary-‘Cheese’ Biscuits
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- Apple Dumplings
- Chocolate ‘Bread Pudding’ With Rum Sauce
- Southern Pumpkin Pie
- Apple Bavarian Torte
- Black Forest Cake
- Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Fudge
- Orange-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
In order to avoid ruffling any feathers this holiday season, PETA has dished up these handy tips:
- Serve any one of these tasty vegan turkeys instead of the traditional fowl.
- Make the holiday stuffing vegetarian-friendly by using vegetable broth instead of a meat-based broth.
- Great gravy is a cinch with Pacific Foods mushroom gravy or Hain instant vegan gravy, available in traditional brown or “chicken” flavors. Just add water and simmer.
- When baking the holiday bread, be sure to use an egg replacer and soy milk in place of eggs and cow’s milk.
- Swap the cow’s milk and butter with soy milk and margarine for vegan mashed potatoes that everyone will love. Try Earth Balance, or check out our shopping guide for more vegan margarines.
- Be sure to have a vegan dressing for the salad; our shopping guide has a list of vegan dressings that can be found at most grocery stores.
- Save time in the kitchen by having each of your guests bring a vegan dish to share. This holiday recipe guide has loads of tempting dishes that will satisfy even the pickiest of palates.
- Check out the Vegan Survival Guide for the Holidays by Jerry James Stone and Ed Begely Jr.
- Deck yourself out in PETA’s whimsical holiday apron.
- If you want a little more help, then order our free vegan starter kit today!
Are you celebrating a compassionate Christian holiday? Please visit JesusPeopleForAnimals.com.