4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 canned artichoke bottoms
4 slices faux Canadian bacon, diced (try Yves brand at Yvesveggie.com)
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
• Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and boil for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes, transfer into a bowl, and mash with a potato masher.
• Meanwhile, in a small skillet, sauté the garlic in 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Add this to the potatoes, along with the salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
• Fill each artichoke bottom with a scoop of the potatoes, then arrange them in an oiled casserole dish.
• Preheat the broiler.
• In the same small skillet, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. Add the faux Canadian bacon and fry until just softened—about 1 minute.
• Top the artichoke bottoms with the “Canadian bacon” and pine nuts and broil for several minutes until the top is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings