Vegan cheesemakers are busy these days providing us with delicious concoctions—and new brands are popping up all over the place. The availability of new products, along with our favorite vegan cheese staples, makes it an exciting time for anyone looking to eat compassionately. Eating cheese made from cow’s milk contributes to a system in which mother cows are repeatedly sexually abused and their calves are taken away from them so that their milk can be stolen. Mother cows experience intense physical and emotional pain for the duration of their lives, only to be tossed aside when they become less productive for the people who profit from their milk.
When you choose vegan cheese, you use your power as a consumer to show that you won’t support this cycle of pain. Vegan cheeses can be made from a variety of nuts, most commonly cashews, almonds, and macadamias. These plant-based sources contain healthy fats but no cholesterol, rennet, or any other gross ingredients found in cheese made from cow’s milk.
We’ve compiled a comprehensive list of vegan cheeses for your pleasure:
Melty shredded vegan cheese makes an excellent topping for foods such as mini pizza bites, lasagna, and tacos. Cheddar and mozzarella are the most common flavors of shreds, but pizza and Mexican blends are also available from several brands. We love sprinkling some shredded mozzarella on top of homemade pizza, as in this awesome recipe: Vegan Pizza in Five Steps.
- 365 Everyday Value: Cheddar and Mozzarella
- Bute Island Foods Sheese: Hard Italian, Mature Cheddar, Mild Cheddar, and Mozzarella
- Daiya: Classic Blend, Mozzarella Style, Pepperjack Style, and Cheddar Style
- Field Roast Chao Shreds: Creamy Original and Mexican Style Blend
- Follow Your Heart: Mozzarella, Fiesta Blend, Cheddar, and Pizzeria Blend
- GOOD PLANeT FOODS: Mozzarella, Smoked Mozzarella, and Cheddar
- Great Value Plant Based Cheese Shreds: Mozzarella Style, Cheddar Style, and Mozzarella and Cheddar Style
- Miyoko’s Creamery: Cultured Pepper Jack and Cultured Farmhouse Cheddar
- Moocho Dairy-Free: Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Fiesta Blend
- MyLife BioCheese: Cheddar and Pizza
- Parmela Creamery: Mozzarella Style, Pepper Jack Style, and Sharp Cheddar Style
- SO Delicious: Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Cheddar Jack
- Trader Joe’s: Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds
- Vevan Foods: Ched-Shred, Mozza-Shred, and P’Jack-Shred
- Violife: Cheddar, Colby Jack, and Mozzarella
Try it homemade: Shreddable Vegan Mozzarella
Blocks and Wedges
Blocks and wedges of vegan cheese can be shredded, sliced, cubed, or cut for any kind of use. They’re perfect for building a charcuterie board or making vegan lunchables. Classic flavors like cheddar, Monterey jack, and mozzarella are common with this style, but brands also offer special flavors that are aged, smoked, or packed full of flavorful ingredients like reishi mushrooms, caramelized onions, and hot peppers. Here’s one way to use your block of “cheese”: Caprese-Style Party Appetizer.
- Bute Island Foods Sheese: Cheshire, Cheddar Style with Caramelized Red Onion, Cheddar Style with Garlic & Chives, Cheddar Style with Jalapeno & Chili, Edam, Gouda, Mature Cheddar, Mild Cheddar, Mozzarella, Red Leicester, Smoked German Style, Strong Cheddar, and Wensleydale Style with Cranberries
- Daiya: Medium Cheddar Style, Monterey Jack Style, Jalapeño Havarti Style, and Smoked Gouda Style
- Dr-Cow: Cajun, Smoked, Plain, and Reishi Mushroom
- Field Roast Chao Blocks: Creamy Original
- Miyoko’s Creamery: Fresh Vegan Mozz, Smoked Vegan Mozz, Sharp Farmhouse, Smoked Farmhouse, Herbes de Provence, and Aged Black Ash
- MozzaRisella: Classic, Smoked, Classic Pizza, and Cheddar
- MyLife BioCheese: Original and Cheddar
- Parmela Creamery: Cheddar Style, Havarti Dill Style, and Mozzarella Style
- Ste Martaen: Colby, Muenster, Pepper Jack, Olive, and Smoked Gouda
- Treeline: Classic Aged Nut Cheese and Cracked Pepper Aged Nut Cheese
- Violife: Epic Smoked Cheddar and Epic Mature Cheddar
Try it homemade: How to Make Vegan Cheese—Vegan Provolone
Stack these slices on a veggie sandwich or melt them on top of a burger or in a vegan grilled cheese. Even Kraft’s iconic American cheese slices are getting a vegan makeover—NotCo has teamed up with The Kraft Heinz Company to make three flavors of delicious, melty cheese slices.
Opt for the mild, creamy flavors of mozzarella, Swiss, or provolone, or kick it up with smoked Gouda or pepper jack. So many flavor varieties are available in these vegan products. Grab your favorite, and try it out in this recipe: Faux-Turkey and “Cheese” Roll-Up.
- 365 Everyday Value: Cheddar and Smoked Gouda
- Bute Island Foods Sheese: Mature Cheddar Style, Mild Cheddar Style, Mozzarella Style, and Red Leicester Style
- Daiya: Smoked Gouda Style, Mozzarella Style, American Style, Cheddar Style, Swiss Style, and Provolone Style
- Field Roast Chao Slices: Creamy Original, Tomato Cayenne, Smoked Original, Spicy Original, and Garden Herb
- Follow Your Heart: American, Smoked Gouda, Medium Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Mozzarella, and Garden Herb
- Kraft NotCheese: American Style, Cheddar Style, and Provolone Style
- Miyoko’s Creamery: Cultured Pepper Jack and Cultured Farmhouse Cheddar
- MyLife BioCheese: Original and Cheddar
- Parmela Creamery: American Style, Cheddar Style, and Pepper Jack Style
- RIND by Dina & Joshua: Carrot Cheese Slices
- Tofutti: American and Mozzarella
- Trader Joe’s: Dairy Free Cheddar Style Slices
- Vevan Foods: Ched-Melts, Mozza-Melts, and P’Jack-Melts
- Violife: Cheddar, Mature Cheddar, and Smoked Provolone
Try it homemade: Sliceable Cashew Cheese
Vegan cream cheese is great for more than just bagels (although it’s perfect for those, too). We love using it to make stuffed jalapeño poppers, creamy baked spinach artichoke dip, and sweet cheesecakes. Impress your friends at your next party with this recipe: “Bacon” and “Cream Cheese” Stuffed Mushrooms.
- Bute Island Foods Sheese: Cheddar, Chives, Garlic & Herb, Original, Spring Onion & Cracked Black Pepper, and Sweet Chili
- Credo Foods: Chive & Onion, Strawberry, and Plain
- Daiya: Chive & Onion, Garden Vegetable, Plain, and Strawberry
- Dr-Cow: Chives, Plain, and Tomato-Turmeric-Garlic
- Follow Your Heart: Plain
- GO VEGGIE: Chive & Garlic, Classic Plain, and Strawberry
- Kite Hill: Everything, Plain, and Chive
- Moocho Dairy-Free: Just Plain Yum, Garden Vegetable, and Strawberry
- MozzaRisella: Spreadable Classic and Cremoso
- Miyoko’s Creamery: Cinnamon Raisin, Everything, Classic Plain, Savory Scallion, and Fish-Free Lox
- Simple Truth: Plant-Based Cream Cheese
- Spero Foods: Cinnamon, Goat, Herb, Original, Paprika, and Smoked
- Tofutti: Garlic & Herb, Herbs & Chives, Non-Hydrogenated Whipped, and Original Plain
- Trader Joe’s: Plain
- Treeline: Cashew Cream Cheese
- Violife: Original and Chilli Peppers
- WayFare: Original and Onion Chive
Try it homemade: Simple Cultured Cashew Cream Cheese
The creamy texture of soft vegan cheese makes it deliciously spreadable on crackers and crusty bread, but it’s also great for melting into sauces and sprinkling on top of fresh salads.
- Boursin: Dairy-Free
- Bute Island Foods Sheese: Cheddar, Chives, Garlic & Herb, Original, Spring Onion & Cracked Black Pepper, and Sweet Chilli
- Fauxmagerie Zengarry: Aged Cumin, Ale Aged, Cranberry & Pistachio, Creamy Swiss, Double Crème, Garlic & Fine Herbs, Smokey Jalapeño, and Sundried Tomato & Basil
- Treeline: Herb-Garlic Creamy Soft French-Style, Scallion Creamy Soft French-Style, Chipotle-Serrano Pepper Creamy Soft French-Style, and Sea Salt & Pepper Creamy Soft French-Style
- Miyoko’s Creamery: Classic Double Cream Chive, Double Cream Sundried Tomato Garlic, Double Cream Garlic Herb, Biergarten Garlic Chive Spread, Spicy Revolution Spread, and Cheers to Cheddah Spread
- Parmela Creamery: Black Pepper, Havarti Dill, Kalamata Olive, Original, Smokey Cheddar, and Smokey Gouda
- Plant Perks Cheeze Spread: Dill Havarti, Garlic & Herb, Smoked Gouda, and Sriracha Cheddar
- RIND by Dina & Joshua: Bleu, Classic, Classic Cambleu, Cranberry, Currant, Herb, Herbs de Provence, Horseradish, Lapsang, and Paprika
- Spero Foods Sunflower Cheese Spread: The Cheddar and The Smoked
- Violife: Original, Herb, Garlic & Herbs, Cheddar, Cheddar & Onion, Black Pepper, Hot Pepper, Tzatziki, and Tomato & Basil
Try it homemade: Easy Garlic & Herb Vegan Cheese
Grated or shredded, vegan Parmesan complements pasta dishes and makes a great addition to homemade popcorn. Shred some over your next salad for a salty, umami element: Amazing Caesar Salad with Homemade Croutons.
- Follow Your Heart: Parmesan Style Grated Cheese Alternative and Parmesan Style Shredded Cheese Alternative
- GO VEGGIE: Parmesan Grated Topping (Note: Make sure that you buy the dairy-free version, as the other kind contains milk.
- Parma!: Chipotle Cayenne, Garlicky Green, and Original
- The Vegetarian Express: Parma Zaan Sprinkles
- Violife: Just Like Parmesan Wedge
Try it homemade: Vegan Parmesan Cheese
Vegan ricotta can easily be made at home using tofu, but these brands knock the tanginess and texture out of the park. Use vegan ricotta to make a lasagna like this one: Tofu-Spinach Lasagna.
Try it homemade: Vegan Ricotta Recipe
Nachos, mac and cheese, pretzels, and fondue—a delicious vegan cheese sauce makes all these totally delicious. Add one of these nacho cheese sauces to this mac and cheese recipe to spice things up: Nacho-Style Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese.
- Botko Foods: Nacho Cheeze
- Credo Foods: Cashew Queso Medium, Cashew Queso Chorizo, and Cashew Queso Spicy
- Good Foods: Queso Style Dip
- Heidi Ho! Foods: Beer Cheeze, Smoky Bourbon, and Queso
- The Honest Stand: Cheddar Style, Garlic Parm Style, Mild Nacho, Spicy Nacho, and Smoked Cheddar Style
- Mother Raw: Vegan Queso and Spicy Vegan Queso
- NACHEEZ: Mild, Medium, and Spicy
- Siete Foods: Mild Nacho Cashew Queso and Spicy Blanco Cashew Queso
- Trader Joe’s: Cashew Fiesta Dip
- WayFare: Cheddar and Nacho Cheddar with Jalapeños
Try it homemade: Easy Nut-Free Vegan Cheese Sauce
Creamy, tangy vegan feta cheese is the secret ingredient in many Mediterranean dishes, from spanakopita to Greek salad. Try one of these brands on top of this salad: Greek Salad with Tofu and Olives.
- Big Mountain Foods: Fava Feta
- Bute Island Foods Sheese: Greek Style
- Daiya: Feta Style Block
- Follow Your Heart: Dairy-Free Feta Crumbles
- Kourellas: Vegan White Type Classic, Olives & Chili, Peppers & Garlic, Smoked, and Tomato & Oregano
- MyLife BioCheese: Feta
- Violife: Just Like Feta Block
Try it homemade: Best Vegan Feta Cheese
Even the unique flavor of this cheese can be achieved using vegan ingredients—eat it plain on a cracker or crusty bread, add some to a savory French tart, or crumble it on top of a classic wedge salad: “Bacon” Wedge Salad with Vegan Bleu Cheese Dressing.
- Bute Island Foods Sheese: Blue English Style and Blue French Style
- Follow Your Heart: High Omega Vegan Bleu Cheese Salad Dressing
- MozzaRisella: Alternative Blue
- Reine: Fauxgonzola
- RIND by Dina & Joshua: Bleu and Classic Cambleu
Try it homemade: Vegan Blue Cheese (Artisan Roquefort)
This mild, firm cheese from Cyprus is known for having a high melting point, so it’s generally grilled or fried. We’ll pass on the stuff made from sheep’s and goat’s milk, though, since it’s speciesist to steal milk from the babies it’s meant for.
Make it at home: Vegan Halloumi Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese
As vegan cheese fanatics, we know cheese lovers won’t be fully satisfied until they get their hands on creamy, irresistible vegan mac and cheese. Take it to a barbecue or include it as a side dish to add ultra-gooey goodness to your favorite meals.
- ATLAS MONROE: Loaded Mac N Cheese w/ Chives
- Follow Your Heart: Super Mac
- Howl: Vegan Mac & Cheese
We hope you’ve learned a lot about the vegan cheese scene. Now, check out our guide to artisan vegan cheese that even your fanciest friends will enjoy, such as products by Treeline Treenut Cheese and Miyoko’s Creamery. You can also order a Dairy Free Kit from Urban Cheesecraft to make your own vegan brie, feta, chèvre, and fondue.
Order Your FREE Vegan Starter Kit
Our free vegan starter kit is full of tips and information about going vegan. Going vegan is the best thing that you can do for animals, the environment, and your health, so order one today!