‘Cheesy’ Stuffed Jalapeño PoppersPrint
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 3 Tbsp. vegan bacon bits
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 10 fresh jalapeños, seeded, tops removed, and set aside
- 2 Tbsp. Follow Your Heart VeganEgg + 1/2 cup ice-cold water (or 1 flax egg, see below)
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying (optional)
- Place the VeganEgg mixture in a small bowl.
- Pour the bread crumbs into a shallow dish.
- Dip each jalapeño in the VeganEgg mixture (or flax egg), coating thoroughly, then roll in the bread crumbs. For a crunchier popper, repeat these steps.
- To fry: Fill a frying pan with 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat to 350°F. Using tongs, carefully place several breaded jalapeños into the oil. Turn after 5 minutes and remove from the oil when golden brown. Allow to cool on paper towels for 5 minutes, then serve.
- To bake: Place the jalapeños on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once halfway through baking. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
Makes 10 poppers