Everything You Need to Know About Vegan Cheese
Vegan cheesemakers are busy these days providing us with delicious, compassionate concoctions—and new brands are popping up all over the place. The availability of new products, along with our favorite vegan cheese staples, makes it an exciting time for vegans. To celebrate, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list for your pleasure:
- Follow Your Heart: Mozzarella, Fiesta Blend, and Cheddar (Find it.)
- Daiya: Classic Blend, Mozzarella, Pepperjack, and Cheddar (Find it.)
- Trader Joe’s: Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds (Find it.)
Shreds are the star of this awesome recipe: Vegan Pizza in Five Steps.
Blocks and Wedges
- Daiya: Cheddar, Jack, Jalapeño Havarti, and Smoked Gouda (Find it.)
- Ste Martaen: Colby, Muenster, Pepper Jack, Olive, and Smoked Gouda (Find it.)
- Punk Rawk Labs: Cashew Original, Cashew Herb, and Cashew Smoked (Find it.)
- Bute Island Foods: Blue, Cheshire, Chives, Edam, Gouda, Medium Cheddar, Melty Mild Cheddar, Melty Red Cheddar, Mozzarella, Smoked Cheddar, and Strong Cheddar (Find it.)
- Miyoko’s Kitchen: High Sierra Rustic Alpine, Aged English Sharp Farmhouse, Aged English Smoked Farmhouse, and Country Style Herbes de Provence (Find it.)
- Dr-Cow: Aged Cashew Nuts, Aged Macadamia Nuts, Aged Cashew & Brazil Nuts, Aged Cashew & Hemp Seeds, Aged Cashew & Dulse Flakes, Aged Cashew & Blue Green Algae, and Aged Cashew & Kale (Find it.)
- Treeline: Classic Aged Nut Cheese, and Cracked Pepper Aged Nut Cheese (Find it.)
Here’s one way to use your block of “cheese”: Caprese-Style Party Appetizer.
- Daiya: Cheddar, Swiss, and Provolone (Find it.)
- Field Roast Chao Slices: Creamy Original, Coconut Herb, and Tomato Cayenne (Find it.)
- Tofutti: American and Mozzarella (Find it.)
- GO Veggie!: American, Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Pepper Jack (Find it)
- Note: Only the slices in the purple packaging and labeled as “dairy free” are vegan—the others contain milk.
Rock and roll with vegan cheese slices with this recipe: Faux-Turkey and “Cheese” Roll-Up.
- Kite Hill: Chive and Plain (Find it.)
- Tofutti: Garlic & Herb, Herbs & Chives, French Onion, Non-Hydrogenated Plain, and Original Plain (Find it.)
- Daiya: Chive & Onion, Plain, and Strawberry (Find it.)
- Dr-Cow: Cream Cashew Nuts (Find it.)
- Follow Your Heart: Plain (Find it.)
- GO Veggie!: Chive & Garlic, Classic Plain, and Strawberry (Find it.)
- Heidi Ho Ne Chèvre (Goat cheese substitute): Black Lava, Blueberry, and Pure (Find it.)
- Trader Joe’s: Plain
- Bute Island Foods: Cheddar, Chives, Garlic & Herb, Original, and Sweet Chili (Find it.)
Try our favorite recipe using cream “cheese”: “Bacon” and “Cream Cheese” Stuffed Mushrooms.
- Treeline: Herb-Garlic Soft French-Style, Scallion Soft French-Style, Chipotle-Serrano Soft French-Style, and Green Peppercorn Soft French-Style (Find it.)
- Miyoko’s Kitchen: Classic Double Cream Chive, Double Cream Sundried Tomato Garlic, Fresh Loire Valley in a Fig Leaf, Mt. Vesuvius Black Ash, French Style Winter Truffle, Double Cream Garlic Herb (Find it.)
- Kite Hill: Artisan Almond Soft Fresh Original, Artisan Almond Soft Ripened, and Artisan Almond Soft Fresh Truffle Dill and Chive (Find it.)
- GO Veggie!: Parmesan Grated Topping (Find it.)
- Note: Make sure that you buy the dairy-free version, as the other kind contains milk.
- Parmela Foods: Parmesan Style (Find it.)
- Parma!: Chipotle Cayenne, Garlicky Green, and Parmesan (Find it.)
- The Vegetarian Express: Parma Zaan Sprinkles (Find it.)
Add a little Italian Parmesan to your mac and cheese:
- Follow Your Heart: Nacho (Find it.)
- NACHEEZ: Medium, Mild, Spicy (Find it.)
- Punk Rawk Labs: Nacho (Find it.)
- Heidi Ho: Creamy Chia Cheeze, Smoky Chia Cheeze, and Spicy! Chia Cheeze (Find it.)
This recipe will become a classic for your vegan diet: Loaded Nachos with Cashew Cheese.
Use vegan ricotta to make a lasagne like this one: Tofu-Spinach Lasagne.
This combination of spice and bleu “cheese” is divine: Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower “Wings” with bleu “cheese” dressing.
You can also make your own delicious cashew cheese!
We hope you’ve learned a lot about the vegan cheese scene. Now, check out our guide to artisan “cheeses” that even your fanciest friends will enjoy, such as products by Treeline Treenut Cheese and Miyoko’s Kitchen.