What’s the deal with down?
As more people become aware of the cruelty that fills every down pillow and comforter, they are choosing high-quality synthetic options instead. And hotels are now offering down-free bedding to align with visitors’ humane values.
Did you know that 80 percent of the world’s down and feathers used for items like jackets, sleeping bags, and bedding come from China? PETA’s exposé of down production shows that workers ripped birds’ feathers out while they were fully conscious.
You can rest easy at these compassionate establishments, which are completely down-free:
- Marriott International. The following Marriott brands are down-free:
- Moxy Hotels
- AC Hotels
- Club Med
- Diamond Resorts International
- MGM Resorts International. The following MGM brands are down-free:
- Circus Circus Las Vegas
- Excalibur Hotel Casino (Las Vegas)
- Gold Strike (Tunica, Mississippi)
- Luxor (Las Vegas)
- New York New York Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
- Motel 6
- Red Roof Inn
- The Stanford Inn by the Sea (Mendocino, California)
These hotels offer down-free bedding options:
- Marriott International, Inc. (except for Moxy Hotels and AC Hotels, which are completely down-free)
- Loews Hotels
- 1 Hotels, while not completely down-free, has agreed to start purchasing only down-free bedding for its hotels in New York and Florida. In addition, all of its new, soon-to-open hotels will feature down-free bedding exclusively.
Planning a Compassionate Vacation
It’s easier than ever to plan a compassionate vacation. This handy list of vegan travel websites can help you find kind hotels, nearby vegan restaurants, and animal-free entertainment options.
Traveling abroad? You’ll want to check out these gorgeous, vegan-friendly hotels and bed and breakfasts.