Vegan Starbucks, anyone? The coffee chain’s fall favorites have returned in the U.S., and while the Pumpkin Spice Latte is still not vegan, the Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato has had a cow-friendly makeover. This tasty beverage is now vegan as is, because it comes with oat milk by default instead of cow’s milk. It’s also sure to get you in the autumnal spirit, with apple, cinnamon, oat, and brown sugar flavors, all topped with a spiced apple drizzle. Try it hot or iced!
If you’re still looking to fulfill your pumpkin spice craving at Starbucks, don’t worry! Try the Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte on our “secret menu” below, or ask your barista to veganize the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew by making a custom plant-based milk cold foam and adding pumpkin spice topping to it. Be sure to ask for it without any pumpkin spice sauce, and enjoy.
The Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato is the chain’s fifth vegan drink, following the Iced Toasted Vanilla Oatmilk Shaken Espresso that came out in March 2022 and the Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte that debuted for the 2021 holiday season.
While it’s great that Starbucks has expanded its vegan milk options, customers shouldn’t have to pay extra when they make a choice that’s better for animals, the environment, and their health. Ask Starbucks to follow the example of many other coffee chains by offering dairy-free milk at no extra charge.
Until the chain ends the upcharge, you can use the rewards program to make it easier—and cheaper—to order vegan drinks. Using the loyalty program, customers will earn two stars for every dollar that they spend at the chain. Once you earn 25 stars (from spending about $13) on drinks or food, you can cash them in to waive the fee and order your favorite drink with almond, soy, oat (at select stores), or coconut milk for no additional charge.
It’s no secret that cows suffer in the dairy industry, but by going vegan, you can save nearly 200 animals per year! That’s why PETA will continue to push Starbucks to eliminate its extra charge for nondairy milks—and you should, too.
Here’s our handy guide to ordering vegan drinks at your local Starbucks.
The basic drinks are vegan: Get yourself a hot coffee or an iced version with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk and any flavored sweetener syrup (such as vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut), and you’re all set. Hot or iced tea is always vegan as well. For drinks that are a bit more “involved,” simply apply these three rules:
Remember to order oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk. All stores carry them, and they can be used to replace cow’s milk in any drink for an additional cost.
Ask your barista to hold the following nonvegan ingredients:
- Whipped cream
- Pumpkin spice sauce
- Java chips (used in the Java Chip Frappuccino and Double Chocolaty Chip Crème Frappuccino)
- Caramel drizzle (used on the Caramel Macchiato and Caramel Frappuccino)
- Cinnamon dolce topping (which contains butter)
- Anything with white mocha
- Anything with caramel brûlée
- Chai lattes (but the Teavana brewed chai tea is fine)
Note: Clear syrups are usually vegan, but the sauces aren’t—except the mocha one.
Check out some of our favorite drinks that are vegan as-is or can be made vegan with minor adjustments:
- Freshly brewed coffees
- Caffè Americanos
- Caffè lattes (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk and without the whipped cream)
- Caffè mochas (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk and without the whipped cream)
- Caramel Macchiatos (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk and without the caramel drizzle)
- Ombré iced coffees (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk)
- Flat whites (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk)
- Java Chip Frappuccinos (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk and without the java chips and whipped cream—and try adding the Cookie Crumble Topping)
- Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk and without the whipped cream)
- Cinnamon Dolce Latte (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk and without the Cinnamon Dolce Sprinkles and whipped cream)
- Matcha Tea Latte (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk)
- Matcha Crème Frappuccino Blended Beverage (with oat, soy, almond, or coconut milk and without the whipped cream)
- Iced Matcha Lemonade
- Iced Toasted Vanilla Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso
- Hazelnut Mocha Coconutmilk Macchiato
- Pink Drinks and Violet Drinks
- Cold Brew with Cinnamon Almondmilk Foam
- Cold Brew with Dark Cocoa Almondmilk Foam
Order Your FREE Vegan Starter Kit
Order these seasonal favorites with nondairy milk, and be sure to hold the whipped cream:
- Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte
- Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato
- Peppermint Mochas
- Gingerbread Lattes
- Chestnut Praline Lattes
- Toffee Almondmilk Hot Cocoa
These secret (or not-so-secret) menu items can be ordered vegan but may need some explanation:
- The Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte
- The Vegan Nutella Frap
- The Vegan S’mores Frap
View this post on Instagram
Vegan version of the smores frap. Order a vanilla bean frap with marshmallow syrup and mocha SAUCE (not mocha syrup). It's very sweet so feel free to ask for less mocha sauce for a less sweet drink. #Vegan #starbucks #veganstarbucks #frappuccino #veganfrappe #veganrecipes #veganfood #veganism #veganofig #starbuckssecretmenu
- The Captain Crunch Frap
View this post on Instagram
Captain Crunch frap: Strawberries and cream frap Caramel syrup (1/2 for tall, 1 for grande, 1.5 for venti) Toffee nut syrup (1 pump tall, 1.5 grande, 2 pumps venti) Hazelnut syrup (1/2 tall, 1 grande, 1.5 for venti) ****DO NOT add java chips for vegan version as they contain milk**** #vegan #starbucks #veganstarbucks #frappuccino #veganfrappe #veganrecipes #veganfood #veganism #veganofig #starbuckssecretmenu
And when the barista asks for your name, don’t forget to use your cup to speak out for animals!
Feeling creative? Make your own Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte!
Check out our adorable ceramic mugs, which are perfect to enjoy your latte in.
Starbucks also offers vegan food options. To see a complete list, check out our Starbucks Vegan Food Guide now.