Seasonal Veggies: What to Buy Now
I, like many others, have been convinced of the importance of buying seasonal, local produce. It’s better for the environment, your wallet, and your taste buds. The problem is that I never know what’s in season. How do we know if it’s time to buy onions or okra, melons or mango? There are way too many fruits and vegetables out there to keep track of. I can barely remember my family members’ birthdays, let alone the peak season of red leaf lettuce.
To help you out with what’s in peak season now (that means sprint to your local farmers’ market because these items are at their best), I’ve done a little research and compiled a short cheat sheet.
- Green Beans: Try green beans with a ginger-lime sauce or tossed with parsley and mint.
- Summer Squash: Use it in a frittata or Spanish paella.
- Okra: This is a must-have ingredient for vegetable gumbo.
- Cucumbers: Use them in a light Asian salad, or blend them into a creamy dip for chips or pita.
- Raspberries: Try these in a fancy raspberry-lemon parfait or in a simple berry muffin.
- Melons: Any type of melon can be used to make a cold granita.
- Bartlett Pears: Try topping poached pears with a shiitake pine-nut tartar for an elegant meal.
- Valencia Oranges
- Plums: They’re great paired with strawberries in a strawberry-plum crisp.