Vegan Tofu Banh Mi RecipePrint
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 14-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise (try Vegenaise)
- Sriracha sauce, to taste
- 1 large baguette, cut into 4 pieces, then halved
- 1/2 cucumber, cut lengthwise into 2-inch strips
- Fresh jalapeño slices, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Stir the lime juice, rice vinegar, carrots, and 1/3 cup of the brown sugar together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate while you prepare the other ingredients. Heat the oil, soy sauce, and remaining brown sugar in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until golden brown.
- Season the tofu with the salt. Add to the onion and oil mixture and cook until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the carrot mixture from the refrigerator and drain.
- Spread the vegan mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce onto the baguette slices, then place the carrot mixture, cucumber strips, tofu mixture, jalapeño slices, and cilantro in between.
- Serve and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings