BBQ ‘Ribs’ to Die For (That No One Had to Die For)Print
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. tahini or nut butter
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 cup your favorite vegan barbecue sauce (try Annie’s Original or Smokey Maple BBQ sauces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish with oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the water, tahini, soy sauce, and liquid smoke in a separate bowl. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and knead for 1 minute.
- Spoon into a baking dish and spread flat, filling the pan evenly. Cut into 12 to 16 even strips. Put in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Baking option: Remove and brush the top, sides, and bottoms of the seitan with a layer of barbecue sauce. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, making sure that the sauce doesn’t burn or blacken. Remove from the oven and re-cut or pull apart the individual seitan pieces to serve.
- Grilling option: Pour the barbecue sauce evenly over the strips. Using a large spatula, place the seitan pieces on the grill. Grill for approximately 8 minutes, browning each side and adding more sauce as you turn and cook. Remove from the grill and re-cut or pull apart to serve.
Makes 4 servings