KFC and Yum! Brands made sweeping changes to their Web sites and customer service scripts in response to a lawsuit that PETA filed against KFC and its parent company, Yum! Brands, accusing the corporations of lying to the public about their animal-welfare policies. PETA’s victory in this lawsuit put corporations on notice that they cannot abuse animals and lie about it with impunity.
The companies stopped making false claims that included the following:
* Chickens raised for KFC suffer no pain or injuries.
* Humane treatment of the birds is “ensured.”
* KFC has had an animal-welfare policy in place for nearly a decade.
* KFC’s animal-welfare panel monitors suppliers for compliance with its guidelines.
* KFC has implemented gas-killing as a more humane way of killing chickens.
* KFC has “strict” guidelines for its suppliers.
Read more about our campaign to win better treatment for KFC chickens.