Please note: This contest is now over. Stay tuned to read all about the winner and runners-up!
May is National Teacher Appreciation Month—a time to honor and celebrate the wonderful educators in our lives. That also means it’s time for TeachKind’s annual Teacher Appreciation contest.
Teachers don’t always have it easy, but the power they have to instill in their students values such as kindness, empathy, and responsibility—toward animals and each other—can make all the difference in the world. Here at TeachKind, we’re lucky enough to work with compassionate, creative, and fearless educators every day who are making a difference for animals. We’re excited to celebrate the many teachers working toward a kinder tomorrow. ❤
Bringing compassion for animals into the classroom can take many different forms. Some teachers run school animal rights clubs or petition to stop cruel field trips. Others work to replace dissection with humane virtual-dissection software or simply incorporate lessons about animal rights into their day-to-day curriculum. Every step taken to teach young people to consider the needs of animals makes a difference.
Does this sound like you or a teacher you know? If you go above and beyond for animals while teaching (or know of an educator who does), we want to hear from you! Enter yourself or a teacher you know in TeachKind’s Teacher Appreciation contest. 🍎
Nominate yourself, a friend, a colleague, a teacher at your child’s school, or any other educator who speaks up for animals in the classroom. Now’s the time to celebrate an animal-friendly teacher. Want some inspiration? Check out last year’s inspiring winner and runners-up.
Here’s What to Do
Nominate yourself or another educator for TeachKind’s Teacher Appreciation contest by filling out the form below by Friday, May 24. Let us know how you have—or your nominee has—demonstrated compassion for or otherwise taken action to help animals this school year, and please include a photo of the nominee with his or her class. We’ll choose one winner and three runners-up by assessing three criteria:
- Which teacher is setting the most inspirational example for students through his or her actions for animals—e.g., by encouraging students to try vegan foods, explaining why the classroom is not a safe place for “pets,” or demonstrating why we shouldn’t buy or wear clothing, shoes, or other accessories that are made from leather or other animal skins
- Which teacher most impresses us with his or her actions to help animals during this school year—e.g., by getting the school to use virtual-dissection software instead of dissecting animals, volunteering to sponsor the school’s animal rights club, or setting up a fundraiser to benefit animals in need
- Which teacher is best integrating compassion for animals into a curriculum—e.g., with persuasive essays, reading centers, or science projects (Bonus points for showing us how TeachKind materials and resources are used in their classroom!)
What Will the Winner Receive?
The winning teacher will receive the following:
- An animal-friendly gift basket designed especially for teachers
- One week of vegan meal ingredients and recipes from Purple Carrot delivered straight to the recipient’s doorstep (perfect for a busy teacher!)
- A gorgeous weatherproof vegan coat from Baro (in either The Charlie or The Dean style)
- A high-quality Dekalb travel duffle bag from Canopy Verde (use it for weekend trips or for carrying supplies to and from school every day)
- A one-of-a-kind TeachKind tote bag
- Our Teacher of the Year certificate*
We’re delighted to include some brand-new prizes this year from compassionate companies: Purple Carrot is an all-vegan meal-delivery service, making vegan eating easier and more accessible to busy professionals (like you!). Baro is an outerwear company based in Vancouver, Canada, that specializes in high-quality weatherproof vegan styles. And Canopy Verde creates eco-friendly vegan handbags in classic styles that are built to last.
Ready to Enter? Great!
Please provide as many details as you can—we want to hear all about the great things that you’ve done (or that your nominee has done) to help animals. If you aren’t nominating yourself and we select the teacher you’ve entered, we’ll contact him or her for consent before announcing the winner and runners-up.
Sorry, this form is now closed.
*Open to U.S. residents only. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. The winner will receive an animal-friendly gift basket designed especially for teachers, one week of vegan meal ingredients and recipes from Purple Carrot, a Dekalb travel duffle bag, a choice between The Charlie or The Dean weatherproof coat from Baro, and a one-of-a-kind TeachKind tote bag. The winner and runners-up will all receive certificates of appreciation in honor of their kindness to animals and be featured on the TeachKind website. They will be chosen by Friday, May 31, and contacted via e-mail.