Adapted from a recipe by and published by permission of World of Vegan.
Mice Krispies Treats From ‘World of Vegan’Print
- 4 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 10-oz. bag vegan marshmallows
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal* or any puffed rice cereal
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan, combine the vegan butter and the vegan marshmallows over low heat. (You can also do this step and the next one in in a glass bowl in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until the marshmallows are fully melted.)
- Stir regularly for about 7–8 minutes, or until largely melted.
- Add the cereal to the saucepan, stir until well combined, and remove from the heat.
- Press the mixture into a 9×9 baking pan until it’s about 1 inch thick (but no thinner or it will be too thin to pipe the faces onto). Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, sketch mice ears onto a piece of paper, place on a cutting board, and cover with wax paper.
- Heat the chocolate chips in the microwave or a double boiler until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a piping bag and pipe it onto the wax paper to form mice ears. (You can also use a resealable plastic bag by holding it diagonally, with one corner at the bottom, and cutting a tiny hole in the corner.) Place in the freezer for 20 minutes or until the chocolate hardens.
- Cut the pressed cereal mixture into 12 mouse-size squares.
- Pipe chocolate onto each square to form eyes, a nose, whiskers, and a tail. Then pipe chocolate onto the top of the squares to attach the frozen ears. Work quickly when attaching the ears to prevent them from melting.
*Rice Krispies brand contains vitamin D3 made from lanolin, a wax extracted from sheep’s wool, so it’s not vegan.
Makes 12 treats.