VIDEO: Creamy Vegan Alfredo Sauce With Lauren Toyota From Hot for FoodPrint
- 1 lb. dried pasta
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper (plus more, to taste, for serving)
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup cashew milk or other unsweetened vegan milk
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- Fresh basil
- In a large pot, cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water, then drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the cashews, salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast, vegan milk, and lemon juice into a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth, adding more vegan milk if necessary.
- In the same pot used to cooked the pasta, warm the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for about two minutes, or until fragrant but not browned. Add the cashew sauce mixture and season with the garlic powder. Let the sauce thicken for a minute or two.
- Place the pasta back into the pot and stir until well covered, adding some reserved pasta water as needed to loosen the sauce.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh basil and black pepper, to taste.
Makes 4 to 6 servings. Adapted from a recipe by Lauren Toyota.