If you need any more proof that vegan eating is sweeping the country, here it is: Even the gal who once wore a shirt that read, “Real girls eat meat,” is giving the plant-based life a try. In preparation for her wedding to Eric Johnson, Jessica Simpson did a two-week vegan cleanse to get a perfect bridal body. Considering what a beautiful bride she was, perhaps Jess will want to keep the plant-based glow long after her honeymoon?
In other celebrity news:
- Ricky Gervais gave his fans a life-saving reminder:
On a 78 degree day the temperature in a car parked in the shade is over 90. Parked in the sun it’s 160! Don’t leave your dog to die.
— Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) July 3, 2014
- It isn’t always Dolly Parton’s big heart that takes the spotlight, but we’ve known what a darling Dolly is ever since she loaned PETA one of her songs for a public service announcement urging people to be good companions to their dogs. And she practices what she preaches. Dolly performed to huge crowds at the UK’s Glastonbury Festival. And when she heard that a sweet older white dog who was found at the festival had been named “Dolly” after her, she said that if no one steps up to claim the pup, the dog will be going back to the States with her.
- Gavin Rossdale is another shining example of showing dogs the love that they all deserve. The Rossdale-Stefani family was enjoying time on the beach over the holiday weekend when a riptide pulled their pup, Chewy, further out into the ocean. Seeing that Chewy was struggling, Gavin went in after him and carried the dog to safety.
- Actor and WWE star Dalip Singh (aka “The Great Khali”) is more than 7 feet tall and 435 pounds of muscle, and—wait for it—he’s vegetarian.
- Mýa and 3 Doors Down guitarist Chris Henderson might be smaller in stature than Dalip (who isn’t?) but both of these musical mavens are also happily powered by plants:
If you haven’t tried raw cashew butter and strawberry jam on a spoon and then chased it down with almond milk you haven’t lived. #vegan
— Chris3DoorsDownⓋ (@Chris3dd) July 8, 2014
Day 9 of #vegan life and I’ve learned SO MUCH already. Super awakening & progressive!
— MYA (@MISSMYA) July 9, 2014
- Long before Blackfish, Baywatch star Alexandra Paul was already attuned to the suffering of captive marine mammals. When the show’s producers planned for a scene to be shot at SeaWorld, Alexandra asked to be written out of it because, as she said, “I abhor marine parks, zoos, and circuses.” She also had a clause in her contract that said that she wouldn’t wear makeup that had been tested on animals. The vegan actor is currently producing a new film that will have an animal rights theme.
- And the tide of public opinion is ready to sweep SeaWorld’s animals out of the abusement park and back into their ocean homes:
— Patti Stanger (@pattistanger) July 8, 2014
How SeaWorld Obtained their Orcas- This Is Unbelievably Heartbreaking! So Awful! http://t.co/M0lc0vEIn6
— Julian Lennon (@JulianLennon) July 9, 2014
To keep up with what all your favorite stars are doing for animals, follow @PETA on Twitter.