It’s Sunday, and you’re at a friend’s house watching the game and having a beer (or three—if you’re a 49ers fan and Colin Kaepernick just threw another interception). During halftime, your host walks in with a plate of cold cuts. Anticipating your disapproval, he tells you, “Oh, don’t worry. The animals were humanely raised. They lived like royalty.” Oh, no—he didn’t just say that. That’s it: You’re throwing a flag down on the play.
Your host can sugarcoat it in a million different ways, but no matter how he slices it, meat is the flesh of an animal who suffered and was murdered for someone’s meal.
If you find yourself in a situation like this, punt the following info to your friends and family and get ’em to join the winning team—#TeamVegan:
1. Roll the tape.
Share this eye-opening footage that shows how pigs suffer on one of Whole Foods’ “humane meat” farms.
2. Review the playbook.
Let people know about the following ways in which animals raised for “humane” meat are really treated:
- Chickens are hung upside down, have their throats slit, and are dunked in a vat of boiling water, often while still alive.
- Piglets may have part of their tails chopped off and their testicles cut out, all without anesthetics.
- Cows on dairy farms are repeatedly impregnated, only to have their beloved calves torn away from them one day after birth.
- Hens are confined to crowded, ammonia-filled warehouses and are forced to lay eggs until their bodies wear out.
3. Throw a Hail Mary.
Share these images, which show what animals who are used for food really endure: confinement, fear, and misery.
4. Score some free leaflets.
Order some of PETA’s “humane meat” leaflets, and leave them at libraries, doctors’ offices, laundromats … you name it! E-mail [email protected] to receive free leaflets.
With this game plan, the ruling on the field is likely to be a TOUCHDOWN for animals. Go, #TeamVegan!