Cruelty-Free Product Shopping

© istockphoto.com / Bliznetsov

Check out these suggestions for replacing items that you might currently be using with cruelty-free products that you can pick up at your local drug and discount stores, such as Walgreens and Target:

Household
Tampons Tampax Maxim
Body Lotion Vaseline Intensive Care/Aveeno Yes to Carrots
Hair Color Clairol Manic Panic
Hand Sanitizer Purell Dr. Bronner’s

Commenting is closed.
  • sunny says:

ALL and Sun products say they do not test on animals they test on human volunteers. I personally called them today. I would like to know about Walmart Equate and Great Value brands though.

• Sarah says:

Why is it that animal-tested products tend to be so much cheaper and easier to get hold of? My local stores only seem to stock L’Oreal and Clairol hair-dyes; our Tescos branch does have a suggestion box though, so I have put a note in there and we’ll see if they take any notice (or not!)

• love animals says:

Unfortunately some AVON products ARE tested on animals. This apparently happens when products are sold outside the uk and governments issue their own testing and don’t accept or find reliable alternative testing methods. :( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2110787/Avon-withdraws-animal-test-claims-website-complaints.html

• Jeniffer Paredes says:

I’m very thankful for the information. It has changed my view about different products that I used to by but I don’t do it anymore.

• animals free says:

i have just recently became a vegan and i love the new change i never knew how bad it is for animals im willing to go through the big change but having a hard time with finding shampoo and deodrant help please

• april says:

can anyone PLEASE tell me does the target brand detergent,fabric softner or cleaning products test on animals??I can;t find this info..Please help thank you

• Tina says:

Arbonne products do not test on animals. Do not have parabens or mineral oils. Chemical dyes or fragrances. I didn’t realise how cruel we are to animals, until the net had me feeling quite sick about what we put on our skin and the heartlessness of most main pharma cosmetics and skin care. I have seen the most horrible stuff..

• Lily says:

Dream on! Schwarzkopf hair products including colour are rotten for cruelty testing. Use Paul Mitchell and be assured you are not being lied too. Please.

• amy says:

I found this:
    which suggests that nivea, and their parent company dont test on animals. I’m hoping its reliable!

• Roxy says:

Great list! For reference, both this list and the Leaping Bunny list work. Neither list is perfect (ever-changing company policies and compromises make that difficult), but BOTH lists promote cruelty-free policies. The products you buy from either list means your money is spent as a “vote” against animal-testing.

If the products you are using aren’t on PETA’s or the Leaping Bunny list, they are tested on animals. ALSO… just because a product says its ingredients are “vegan” doesn’t mean the product or its ingredients weren’t tested on animals (it’s a marketing ploy.) Hope this helps :)

• lei says:

Treseme DOES test on animals !!!!!!! Schwarzkopf doesnt and they do a great range of hair products !

• Randi K. Wahlberg says:

Is there anyone that can confirm that Nivea is not testing on animals, or that any of the components have been tested? I can not find it on any list over cruelty free products.

Thanks for tips anyone! :)

• cecilia says:

Thank you for the informatión. Peta (and being vegetarian)changed my life! :)

• Elizabeth says:

Stephanie,

I emailed St. Ives, who must be made by Alberto-Culver to ask them to sign up for caringconsumer’s list. Here was their response:

Thank you for contacting Alberto Culver regarding your questions or concerns on Animal Testing.

While our corporate policy is in fact not to test our products on animals or have ingredients tested on animals, we do not have the staff resources to assess or prioritize the many, many pledges we get from a wide variety of private groups asking for our signature during the year on a wide variety of topics. Therefore our policy is to reply to those governmental forms that are required, but not to requests from private groups.

We appreciate your concern and are glad of the opportunity to express our views on this matter. We assure you that none of our current products are tested on animals. Neither have we contracted with third parties to conduct such tests on our behalf, nor have we instigated such testing on raw materials used in our products. It is our policy to support alternative methods of testing, indeed such is our belief in this that we contribute significantly to the Johns Hopkins University Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing who are leaders in this field. If confirmation of product safety is required, then we would consider, and in fact have used on occasion, testing on human volunteers.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you again for contacting Alberto Culver.

Sincerely,

Casey Collins
    Senior Consumer Relations Representative

• Stephanie says:

I just want to remind everyone that just because a particular product or brand name does not test on animals, DOES NOT mean that their parent company adheres to the same principles (for example even though Tresemme might not test on animals, its parent company Alberto-Culver sure as heck does). So, by choosing a product from a company owned by an animal-testing giant, you are indirectly still supporting that giant. Think twice about your product choices!

• Jeanette says:

Hi, I also live in Mexico and I am switching to non cruelty products, unfortunate for such a long time I´ve been using a lot of products tested on animals and I can´t be sorry enough for that, I love and care about animals but just like many other people I didn´t about it. I have done a lot of research lately and even though in Mexico there aren´t so many brands that doesn´t test on animals (P&G, Unilever, Nestlé, Colgate, etc., lead the market) I am succeding. It´s only about being patient, reading a lot of tags, and as I said before doing a lot of research. Fortunately St. Ives, Avon, Revlon, Nivea, Equate (even though I don´t quite trust Wal-mart)are available in Mexico and they are affordable. I´ll keep going and I promise to post mexican brands names that share this commitment.

• Lindsay says:

I had no idea all these products tested on animals, I usually use Olay body wash but I definitely won’t anymore, this is disgusting.

• Susie says:

@alejandra moreno

If you’re having a hard time finding cruelty free products there are a lot of easy recipes you can find online for homemade shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, etc.

• Cara Di Cicco says:

I am an independent consultant for Arbonne International and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF ARE PRODUCTS ARE:
    1. NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS AT ALL
    2. WE DO NOT USE ANY ANIMAL PRODUCTS OR BY-PRODUCTS.
    3. VEGAN CERTIFIED
    4. GREEN COMPANY

AMONG MANY OTHER WONDERFUL QUALITIES!!!!! SO CHECK US OUT!!!! I’m more than happy to answer questions too! It’s disgusting what some companies do to animal and what they put in their products!

Cara Di Cicco
    CaraDiCicco33@aol.com

• alejandra moreno says:

Hi, it is admirable what u’re doing, i live in mérida yucatán, mexico and most of the products that we can find here are on the “do test list” and very few in the “don’t test list” so if you could help especially with the shampoos soaps and that kind of things i will really apreciate it!!! i would be grateful! because i really think that animals are not even close to deserve that kind of cruelty. by the way sorry for my english mistakes ;)

• loves animals says:

Having a vegan product does not earn recognition when the rest of the company tests on animals. I used to use Lancome (owned by L’Oreal) exclusively, until I found their name on PeTA’s list of testing on animals. I contacted a VP who informed me that animal testing was necessary!!! Why? I do not physically or genetically resemble any animal other than human (hopefully)! How are they to know whether the cream tested on a rat, goat or donkey will react the same as on a human. I have switched to Elizabeth Arden, but before buying I contacted customer service and they told me they are against any animal testing, I suggested to them that they contact PeTA and have their name added to the cruelty free list, did I get a snow job???
    Should I start on Iams?? How do you sell dog food that is tested on dogs?? Cruelly, as well. For that reason I have 3 vegetarian dogs and they are loving it!!!!!!

• loves animals says:

Go another step further than opting to not buy a product, let the company know why you aren’t purchasing their product. I e mail companies constantly to let tham know my stand on animal testing. I cannot tolerate it!!! I just love how “green” all these companies are going yet they test their “green” products on animals. Go figure, there are other options.

• Alexes says:

i didnt know that Dove tested on animals…

• Misty Lynea says:

Tresemme is a great shampoo product that does not test on animals and it’s also affordable and used by salon professionals :) Also, Almay is another cruelty-free make-up line :)

• Mylie says:

Hi Gina. Please politely contact L’Oreal and ask them to sign PETA’s statement of assurance that they will not test any of their products on animals.

@ Gina Says:

April 29th, 2009 at 9:07 am edit
    L’Oreal actually has an entire line of 100% vegan hair care produts. I think that should earn them some recognition here!

• Mylie says:

Hey Jan, as mentioned above, check out this link for more info: http://www.caringconsumer.com/cosmetics_bodyshop.asp

PETA has received assurance that Tom’s products are not tested on animals.

• Jan says:

I’d like to learn more about the Tom’s brand. If they were purchased by Colgate, has Tom’s started testing on animals or are we angry because Colgate tests on animals?

• Kat says:

Re: ‘this finished product not tested on animals’. It means that the finished product was not tested on animals but, and this is a big “but”, the individual components (or combinations other than the final one) may have been tested on animals. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a product with a claim such as this.

• carol says:

shaklee is a good company as far as i know; it’s an “MLM”, multi-level marketing company so is not sold in stores. i think Oprah recommends them. i have used their products and like them. Planet is another brand that is “green” and not tested on animals. they have a great wash detergent and dish soap.

• Elizabeth says:

Does anyone know what it means when a product (such as Bath and Body Works) says ‘this finished product not tested on animals’?

Also, has anyone heard of Shaklee? They sell vitamins, makeup, and cleaners that are all environmentally friendly, never tested on animals, and contain no artificial dyes or ingredients that can harm you!

• Gina says:

• Debbie says:

This is great! And OH NO about Tom’s, how did you find that out?

• Amanda says:

I have also read that the bunny or “cruelty free” can mean it was bought from a company that does animal testing. How do we know for sure? So far I try to stick with products that actually say, “not tested on animals.” Could this be only part-truth as well? Please help!

• ashleigh adams says:

thanks guys, iv emailed a whole heap of companies and all of them tested on animals, its disgusting that these methods are still being used. Iv started to buy all animal free testing products from soap, toothpaste and cleaning products. Earth choice is a good brand for dishwashing liquid and other house cleaning products, naturale toothpaste from coles is good and coles and woolworths stock vege based soaps in their healthfood isles.

Cheers guys hope that helps

• Mylie says:

Hey Madeleine! I regularly see Revlon hair dye at Walgreens. You may want to start there: http://www.walgreens.com

• Madeleine says:

Just wanted to share my favorite natural and no tested toothpaste by Dr. Ken. Ive tried and few and this by far tastes the best another good one of you like a bit stronger mint is Jason Powersmile. Also, how come Revlon haircolour is so hard to find. I still by clairol because I cant find Revlon black dye anywhere…?

• Kat says:

If you live in Canada try the “Green Beaver” line of products. They are Canadian owned, made in Canada and are not tested on animals. I use their shampoos, moisturizers, make-up remover & exfoliants and I love them!

• Cherry says:

I have read in several articles that the “leaping bunny” may be a little misleading. Companies that display the bunny may be owned by a company that does test on animals, also they may buy ingrediants from companies that test on animals.

I had no idea Dove, Dawn, Ajax tests on animals or is owned by a company that does! P & G and Colgate need a good wake-up call. I’m not giving those companies my money to fund this outrage!

• Dominika says:

Does revlon contain animal by-products??
    Does loblaws test on animals??

• Deirdre says:

I agree Trader Joe’s has great cleaning and personal care products that are affordable and cruelty free. Alba products are great too, and available at Whole Foods, as are Nature’s Gate.
    Whole Foods’ own 365 line of products has some good, cruelty-free items as well. Pureology hair care products are also vegan. Just look for the leaping bunny symbol, or the bunny with the line through it, or else just read the label and make sure it says “no animal products, no animal testing.”

• Ivy says:

Yes, but just because Revlon doesn’t test on animals doesn’t mean it doesn’t contain animals, right?

• Rosie Revan says:

It’s astounding how many products out there are tested on animals – ‘house-hold’ things you’ve grown-up using and would never guess are tested on animals. We all need to stop buying products from these multi-millionaire corporations once and for all – they are run by cruel, heartless people who only care about making money, and they don’t deserve to make money out of compassionate people like you or I.

• Jamie says:

KissMyFace toothpaste is great too, i just love that brand in general.

• PoppyDay says:

This list is a real blessing– I know lots of cruelty-free stuff is available at specialty shops, but they’re sort of out of the way for me! To have a list to use at Target and CVS is VERY useful and so much easier than reading the back of every single product.

• Catherine says:

Great suggestions! If you are lucky enough to have a Trader Joe’s near you, they have a very affordable private label line of cruelty-free personal care items (shampoos, lotions, soap, toothpaste, etc.) as well as cleaning products (lavender laundry detergent and dryer bags, citrus-scented dish soap, etc.)

They also have a vegan product list for their tasty food: http://www.traderjoes.com/Attachments/Vegan.pdf

• Debs says:

Oh Lordy!! There’s a couple of products I use on the don’t list that I didn’t have a clue were tested on animals!! shan’t be buying them again.

• sidish6 says:

wow, great !!! thnx !!

• Mylie says:

Hey Sally. For more information on Tom’s of Maine and Colgate, please go to: http://www.caringconsumer.com/cosmetics_bodyshop.asp

• Nova Luehrs says:

I think this is great!! But the ones not to buy, they test on animals??? I didnt know that!!

• Sally says:

Tom’s of Maine is now owned by Colgate which is not green and is tested on animals.