Nicki Minaj Turns Her Back on Fur
Some call her Nicki and some call her Roman, but everyone can call her fur-free now. A behind-the-scenes video from Nicki Minaj’s photo shoot for the August cover of Marie Claire showed what happened when a stylist tried to point Her Minajesty toward a fur coat. “Is that real fur, though?” Nicki asked. When the stylist nodded, Nicki immediately shook her head and replied, “Oh, no.” Her change of heart about cruel fur is making animal advocates everywhere say, “Oh, yes!” PETA sent Nicki a thank-you bouquet of flowers in her favorite color: pink, of course.
In other celebrity news…
- Is it possible for my heart not to skip a beat when I look at Ryan Gosling? Answer: No. As if his baby blues weren’t enough, he’s spoken out in behalf of chickens, turkeys, calves, and now pigs. In an op-ed published in The Globe and Mail, Ryan criticizes pig farmers for confining pregnant sows to gestation crates and calls for the minuscule cages to be banned.
- Speaking of heartthrobs who are kind to cows, we wouldn’t be surprised if Dawson ditched dairy products. James Van Der Beek tweeted a link to a medical article that explained, “There is no biological requirement for cow’s milk. It is nature’s perfect food but only if you are a calf. The evidence of its benefits is overstated, and the evidence of its harm to human populations is increasing.” Van Der Beek added, “I KNEW sucking a cow’s udder was a weird thing for a human to do.”
Other celebs were speaking their animal-friendly minds on Twitter, too:
- We’re pumped to see our gal Olivia Munn in the new season of The Newsroom starting this weekend, and we’re pretty certain that none of the characters will be wearing fur, going to the circus, or hopping into a horse-drawn carriage.
- Former Anaheim Ducks defenseman Scott Niedermayer just earned his long-awaited spot in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but he’s been a proud member of the animal advocacy hall of fame for several years—for defending ducks against being force-fed and killed for foie gras.
- Evelyn Lozada graces this month’s cover of Latina and talks to the magazine about being a domestic violence survivor. Since those tough days, she’s begun advocating against violence toward animals, too. The former fur-wearer recently posed nude for PETA to ask everyone to dump fur.
- Laura Bell Bundy is making July even hotter with her newest release, “Two Step,” an energetic tune that will have people out of their seats and on the dance floor no matter what the temperature. But we love the country cutie because she tries to make sure that dogs stay nice and cool all summer long.
- Two Latin stars are having a great week ahead of the release of their PETA campaigns. Longtime vegetarian Rubén Albarrán‘s latest release with his band, Café Tacvba, was certified gold in Mexico, while Mexican chanteuse Carla Morrison, guardian of two adorable rescued pups, was named one of the must-see acts at this week’s Latin Alternative Music Conference.
To keep up with what all your favorite stars are doing for animals, follow @PETA on Twitter.
If your comment doesn't appear right away, please be patient as it may take some time to publish or may require moderation.