Pomegranate-Peach Barbeque SaucePrint
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup peaches, peeled and diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1–3 Tbsp. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh sage, minced
- Warm the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onion is soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender. Add the peaches, tomato sauce, water, red wine vinegar, pomegranate molasses, lime juice, tamari or soy sauce, tomato paste, and chipotle peppers and process until smooth.
- Pour the sauce back into the saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 20 minutes. Stir in the sage and simmer for 1 to 2 more minutes. Taste and season with more salt, if desired. Use immediately or store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Try this barbeque sauce with Summer Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs.
Recipes used with permission from Afro-Vegan by Bryant Terry, copyright © 2014. Published by TenSpeed Press, a division of Penguin Random House, Inc. Photography © 2014 by Paige Green
PETA is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide websites with a means to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.