Blackened Okra with Red RicePrint
- 4 Tbsp. Peanut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion, Finely Diced
- 1/2 tsp. + 1 tsp. Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 cup white basmati rice, soaked in water overnight and drained well
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 5 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 3/4 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 tsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 lb. small to medium okra pods
- 4-6 Tbsp. blackened seasoning (see note)
- To make the red rice, warm 2 tablespoonfuls of the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoonful salt and sauté until golden brown and quite soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until the water has evaporated and the rice starts to smell nutty, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and bell pepper and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir well to coat the rice and vegetables. Stir in the stock and tamari or soy sauce, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until the okra is ready.
- To make the okra, prepare a medium-high grill (see note). Add the water to a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the remaining salt, then add the okra and blanch for 1 minute. Drain well.
- Transfer to a large bowl, drizzle with the remaining oil, and toss until evenly coated. Sprinkle with the blackened seasoning and toss again until evenly coated. Thread the okra pods onto skewers, putting about 6 pods on each one. Grill until browned and slightly crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- To serve, cut each pod into thirds and serve atop the rice.
- If you’re serving the okra on its own, without the rice, use 6 tablespoonfuls of the blackened seasoning; otherwise, use 4 tablespoonfuls.
- If grilling isn’t feasible, you can broil the okra: Set the oven to broil, place the pods about 3 inches from the heat on a lightly greased baking sheet, and cook until browned, bubbling, and starting to crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
Recipes used with permission from Afro-Vegan by Bryant Terry, copyright © 2014. Published by TenSpeed Press, a division of Penguin Random House, Inc. Photography © 2014 by Paige Green
PETA is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide websites with a means to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.