Pinky Cole’s Drunken Mushrooms with Purple Potato Mash and Green Pea PuréePrint
- 1 2-oz. pkg. onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, destemmed
- 1 cup green peas
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 radishes, chopped
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 2 tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 8 small purple potatoes, boiled and drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain vegan heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- Combine the onion soup mix with 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth. Add the mushrooms and allow to marinate for 15 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and reduce the vegetable broth by half.
- Place the remaining vegetable broth, the reduced vegetable broth, the peas, the green onions, the radishes, the red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoonful each of the ground pepper and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth then set aside.
- Melt ½ cup of the vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the red onions and bell peppers and sauté until tender. Add the marinated mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Place the potatoes and the cream along with the remaining ground pepper, salt, and vegan butter in a bowl. Mash together then stir in the vegan mozzarella.
- Serve the mushrooms with the mashed potatoes and green pea purée and garnish with lemon slices.
Adapted and published by permission of Pinky Cole