For the Crust:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
For the Filling:
1 3/4 lbs. golden delicious apples, thinly sliced
1 3/4 lbs. granny smith apples, thinly sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. unbleached flour
For the Garnish:
3 Tbsp. cold nondairy margarine, diced
1 Tbsp. nondairy milk
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 pinch ground cinnamon
• To make the crust, combine the flour and the salt in a large bowl. Put 1/3 into a separate bowl and add the water, stirring to make a paste. Set aside.
• With a pastry cutter or fork, cut the vegetable shortening into the flour mixture in the larger bowl until the texture is pebbly. Add the paste and mix well. Shape into a ball and divide into two equal parts.
• Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll half the dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured countertop, rolling from the center out (rather than back and forth).
• When at least 10 inches in diameter (or 11 if using a 9-inch pan), loosen from the rolling surface, fold in half, and place in the center of an 8-inch pie pan. Unfold and gently press into the pan. Trim off any excess dough.
• To make the filling, combine the apples, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Let stand for approximately 15 minutes, or until juices form. Add the flour and mix.
• Preheat the oven to 400°F.
• Spoon the filling into the bottom crust and dot with the margarine.
Roll out the remaining dough to form a 13-inch-diameter circle. Drape over the filling.
• Seal the crust edges together and trim off any excess, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold under and crimp with a greased fork.
• Brush the pie with the nondairy milk. Combine the sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the pie.
• Put the pan on a baking sheet and place in the oven, immediately reducing the temperature to 375°F.
• Bake for approximately 2 hours, or until the crust is golden brown, the apples are tender, and the filling is thick and bubbling. Cover the edges with foil, if needed, to prevent from browning too quickly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 servings