Rescue Workers Pull Elderly Man From House, Use Oxygen Mask to Revive 14-Year-Old Animal
For Immediate Release:
November 26, 2013
David Perle 202-483-7382
Salisbury, Md. – At 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, November 24, more than two dozen firefighters from all three stations of the Salisbury Fire Department responded to a blaze at a house in the 300 block of Cherry Way, where a 76-year-old man was found unconscious. He was revived and is listed in critical condition. A 14-year-old dog named Buddy was found huddled down and blackened by soot and ash from the fire. Rescuers gave him oxygen through a mask specially designed for dogs and cats, and he appeared to be fine.
For the firefighters’ efforts in saving Buddy, the Salisbury Fire Department will receive PETA’s Compassionate Fire Department Award.
“The firefighters of the Salisbury Fire Department are truly heroes because they don’t consider their job done until all residents—both human and nonhuman—have made it to safety,” says PETA Senior Vice President Daphna Nachminovitch. “PETA hopes the compassion and know-how shown by these first responders will inspire others always to come to the aid of animals in need.”
PETA encourages all animal guardians to put a sign on doors or windows to alert rescue workers to the presence of dogs and cats. Families can order stickers from the PETA Catalog or make their own at home.
The Salisbury Fire Department will receive a framed certificate, a letter of appreciation, and a box of delicious vegan chocolates from PETA.
For more information, please visit PETA.org.