Growing up, holidays were always food-centered events. My family even has a decorative plate that signifies whose special day it is. One of my favorite meals was a yummy breakfast casserole. Knowing that my newly vegan parents were bummed that they’d be missing out on this tradition, I decided to veganize the dish and surprise them.
If you’re looking to treat your dad to a delicious and cruelty-free breakfast this Father’s Day, look no further than this tasty breakfast casserole.
This recipe can easily be altered to fit any occasion and any set of taste buds. Looking for a kick? Add in diced jalapeños and serve topped with salsa. Or add in fresh spinach and sliced mushrooms for a country-style favorite. No matter how you like it, you can make it your own. Enjoy!
Father’s Day Breakfast Casserole
For the ‘Egg’ Mixture:
1/2 cup plain soy milk
1 lb. extra-firm tofu
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
For the Casserole:
1 pkg. Gimme Lean Sausage
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 qt. shredded hash browns (frozen is OK)
1 pkg. Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place all the ingredients for the “egg” mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Crumble the vegan sausage and brown slightly in 1 tablespoonful of the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Use the other 1 tablespoonful of oil to coat the bottom of a large baking dish. Layer the hash browns, the sausage, and the vegan cheese along with any other ingredients that you would like to add.
- Pour the egg-like mixture over the layered hash browns, sausage, and cheese, then sprinkle more cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 10 servings