Five Great Things About Slow Cookers
Many people think that slow cookers are used only for meat-based dishes, but this is simply not the case! Slow cookers are a great addition to the veggie kitchen and can do so much more than make dinner. Check out these five great things about slow cookers:
1. Slow cookers help you save money by allowing you to make large quantities of food. With a slow cooker, you can prepare a big ol’ hearty stew that can last for days. You can even make your own big batches of pasta sauce to portion out and freeze for later use rather than buying commercial jars of sauce. Be sure to check out the slow cooker recipes for inspiration.
2. There is an entire cookbook devoted to cooking vegetarian with a Crock-Pot. Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson is jam-packed with 200 recipes for healthy and hearty one-pot meals.
3. Make your own infused massage oil. Why pay a lot for fancy massage oils when you can create a lovely version at home for just a few bucks? All you have to do is add about 8 ounces of olive oil and 2 ounces of dried flower petals or herbs to your slow cooker and heat on a very low setting. Dried lavender or calendula works well for this. Infused oil must be gently heated, so it is essential that you use a slow cooker that has a very low setting. Warm the oil for about two hours, and then strain it well to remove all the herb or flower particles. Allow it to cool, then use it as a moisturizer or massage oil.
4. Slow cookers help you save time. You can start your dinner in your slow cooker while you are making breakfast, and when you come home from a long day at work, your house will be filled with the aroma of a home-cooked meal. All you have to do is enjoy it!
5. Scent your home with a natural homemade simmering potpourri. Fill your slow cooker about halfway with water, and then toss in some delicious-smelling ingredients such as orange slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and cloves. Warm it on a very low setting, and enjoy the comforting fragrance for hours. Tell us about some of your favorite ways to use slow cookers!