1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup apple butter
1 1/2 cups dry sweetener (try Succanat)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
6 Tbsp. rice milk
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. grated orange zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 cups grated zucchini
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil and flour an 11-inch tart pan or a 10-inch spring form pan and set aside.
• In a food processor, cream together all the wet ingredients except the zucchini. Set aside.
• In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and push to one side of the bowl. Combine the wet mixture and the zucchini in the empty side of the bowl and then quickly incorporate with the dry mixture to make a thick batter.
• Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool to room temperature before cutting.
• Serve with a pool of Raspberry Dessert Sauce (see recipe below) and a few raspberries.
For the Raspberry Dessert Sauce:
A grind or two from a pepper grinder and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar can be use to enhance the flavor.
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup raspberry all-fruit seedless jam
1/4-1/2 cup apple or raspberry juice
• Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Chill before serving. Strain to remove the seeds if desired.
Makes 10 to 12 servings