For the Corn Cakes:
12 cups water
4 cups yellow corn grits
2 tsp. sea salt
For the Fricassee:
1 1/2 pounds assorted mushrooms (portobello, shiitake, oyster, chanterelle), cleaned (shiitake stems should be discarded)
4 Tbsp. nondairy margarine
1 cup faux chicken stock or vegetable stock
3 shallots, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• In a large pan, bring the water to a boil. Slowly whisk in the corn grits and salt, stirring frequently for 20 to 25 minutes.
• Pour into a pan or onto the countertop. Spread with a cake knife to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2- to 2 1⁄2-inch rounds or squares and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
• Clean and chop the mushrooms to the desired size, keeping in mind that they shrink considerably when you cook them. You will most likely have to cook them in a few batches. Sauté until tender using 1 Tbsp. of margarine per batch. While the last batch of mushrooms is cooking, bring the stock to a simmer in a saucepan over medium.
• Remove the final batch of mushrooms from the pan, and add another Tbsp. of margarine along with the shallots and garlic and cook over medium heat until the shallots are tender. Add all the mushrooms to the pan, along with the red wine and the thyme, and cook until the wine is reduced by half.
• Add the faux chicken stock, simmer, and reduce to make a nice saucy consistency. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper.
• Top each grilled corn cake with 1 to 2 oz. of the mushroom fricassee.
Makes 8 servings