2 Tbsp. oil, plus more for oiling the pan
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
4 cups seitan, cut into 1- to 2-inch cubes
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
2 tsp. black pepper
Salt, to taste
1/4 cup tomato sauce
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a bread loaf baking pan.
• Heat the 2 Tbsp. of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, pepper, and carrots and sauté for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
• Process the seitan in a food processor until finely ground. Place in a bowl and add the sautéed vegetables.
• In a separate bowl, mix together the peanut butter, ketchup, soy sauce, thyme, and sage. Pour over the seitan and mix well. Add the black pepper and the salt.
• Place in the prepared baking pan and top with the tomato sauce. Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and let cool a bit before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings