Veggie Tempura on a StickPrint
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1–1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tsp. kuzu root starch*, diluted in a little cold water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Assorted vegetables (try squash, avocado, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
- Combine the flour, sea salt, water, and kuzu and stir well, making sure there are no lumps.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil over medium heat (350ºF) in a medium-sized pot.
- Dip the vegetables in the batter until covered, then slide gently into the oil. When browned on all sides, remove from the oil using a fork or tongs.
- Let cool for a minute, then pierce with a skewer stick. Now you’re ready for the county fair!
- *Kuzu root starch acts as a thickening agent. You can also use egg replacer, cornstarch, or arrowroot powder.