Vegan Rainbow Lemon Cake with Buttercream FrostingPrint
- 4 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil or rice bran oil
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 2/3 cup white sugar
- Vegan food coloring (optional)
- Rainbow Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Zest and juice the lemons into a liquid measuring cup and add the dairy-free milk. Whisk and set aside.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, and sugar with the milk mixture. Then add the dry mixture and stir to combine. Separate the batter into as many bowls as you’d like for coloring and add food coloring to each bowl.
- Pour the batter into greased cake pans (makes enough for two 8-inch round or four 6-inch round layers), alternating adding layers of different colored batter. Swirl the batter around with a fork and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 16 to 20 servings
Adapted from baker and cake decorator Ashley Shotwell’s recipe.