Vegan Pulled Barbecue JackfruitPrint
- 3 14-oz. cans young jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 burger buns
- Put the jackfruit in a bowl and mash with a spoon to create the texture of pulled meat.
- If using a slow cooker: Place all the ingredients (except the buns) in the slow cooker, stir well, and cook on low for 5 hours.
- If using a stove top: Place all the ingredients (except the buns) in a pot, stir well, and cook over medium heat until heated through or, if desired, until some pieces become crispy.
- Serve the cooked jackfruit on the buns. Add additional barbecue sauce and your favorite toppings.
Makes 4-6 servings
Adapted from MamaInTheKitchen.com