Adapted and published with permission from McCormick’s series of vegan Mexican recipes
Vegan Mushroom and Carrot Tinga TacosPrint
- 2 tsp. McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. McCormick Oregano Leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. McCormick’s Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. McCormick Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. McCormick Paprika
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 lbs. oyster mushrooms, cut into thin strips
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. McCormick Chipotle Chili Pepper
- 8 corn tortillas or tostadas
- Optional: lime wedges, refried beans, shredded lettuce, vegan sour cream, chopped green onions, shredded vegan cheese, cilantro, and salsa
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the tomato paste and paprika and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the onions and carrots and cook until softened. Stir in the spice mixture and mushrooms and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a blender, blend the tomatoes and chipotle chili pepper on high until smooth.
- Add to the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the liquid has been reduced by about three-quarters and the mixture has the consistency of pulled chicken.
- Divide evenly among the tortillas and top with your favorite vegan accompaniments.