Vegan Tortilla SoupPrint
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle or fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 pasilla or Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups faux chicken broth (try Osem or Telma brands, available in the kosher section of supermarkets)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 12 white corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 2 tsp. salt, plus extra to sprinkle on the tortillas
- Juice from one freshly squeezed lime
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into small chunks
- 4 Tbsp. nondairy sour cream
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until golden.
- In a blender, purée the onion, garlic, peppers, and half the can of tomatoes. Transfer the purée, along with the remaining half can of crushed tomatoes and the broth, to a large pot. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil for frying in a heavy pot over medium-high heat or in a deep-fryer. Add the tortilla strips and fry until golden brown. Transfer the strips to a paper-towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Just before serving, add 2 tsp. salt and the lime juice to the soup and stir. Divide the avocado chunks into four soup bowls, ladle the soup over them, and garnish each with 1 Tbsp. nondairy sour cream, fried tortilla strips, green onions, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings