3/4 cup diced onions
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1-2 large russet potatoes, cleaned and cut into bit-sized cubes
1 tsp. dried parsley
3/4 cup stemmed, seeded, and chopped green pepper
1/3 cup diced zucchini
1/3 cup diced summer squash
3/4 cup diced tomatoes
1 lb. extra-firm tofu
1/2 cup plain soy milk (try Eden Soy brand)
2 Tbsp. egg replacer
1 1/2 tsp. agar-agar flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. turmeric
2 slices vegan cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp. miso (blond-mellow)
4-5 16-oz. individual casserole dishes, lightly oiled
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• In a pan over medium heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil for 2 minutes, until softened. Add the potatoes and parsley. Sauté for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
• Add the green pepper, zucchini, and summer squash. Sauté till slightly cooked. Add the tomatoes and sauté until warm. Remove form the heat.
• In a food processor, combine the tofu, soy milk, egg replacer, agar-agar, salt, turmeric, vegan cheese, and miso. Process until smooth.
• In a large bowl, fold the sautéed vegetables into the tofu mixture.
• Spoon into the casserole dishes. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and let cool. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.*
• In the morning, reheat at 375°F, covered, for roughly 45 minutes for a great breakfast or brunch treat.
*Note: This allows the agar-agar to properly set up.
Makes 4 to 5 servings