Adapted from a recipe by and published by permission of The Daily Dish.
The Daily Dish’s Easy Vegan Eggplant CurryPrint
- 2 eggplants, sliced into 1-inch-thick half-moon shapes
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 chili pepper, deseeded and minced (omit for a less spicy curry)
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 14-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-oz. can coconut milk (full- or low-fat)
- 1 14-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. tamarind paste
- maple syrup
- Put the eggplant in a large bowl. Add the vegetable oil and toss until evenly coated. Season with the salt and pepper.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook the eggplant in two batches until soft and browned, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add more oil if needed. Remove from the pan and transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Sauté the onion for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and chili pepper (if using) and sauté for 1 minute. Add the turmeric and curry powder and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan and toss.
- Pour in the coconut milk and chopped tomatoes. Stir in the tamarind paste and maple syrup.
- Add the eggplant and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings