This recipe has been adapted from one in Linda McCartney’s Family Kitchen, which describes the dish as follows: “Gingerbread is a much-loved classic bake and this dairy-free version is wonderfully squidgy, sticky and satisfying. This is great just as it is or, when served with some plant-based vanilla ice cream, it makes a delightful dessert.”
Linda McCartney’s Gingerbread CakePrint
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 3 Tbsp. warm water
- 9 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 1/2 cup raw cane or white sugar
- 2 cups white spelt, all purpose, or gluten-free flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 Tbsp. blackstrap molasses
- Maple syrup and nondairy yogurt or cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Put the flax seeds into a bowl with the warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the nondairy butter and the sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Fold in the flaxseed mixture, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and vegan milk and stir until smooth. Gently warm the molasses until runny and fold into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and nondairy yogurt or cream.
Makes 6 servings
Adapted from LINDA MCCARTNEY’S FAMILY KITCHEN. Recipes and additional text copyright © 2021 by Linda Enterprises Ltd. Photography by Issy Croker. Used by permission of Voracious, an imprint of Little, Brown and Company. New York, N.Y. All rights reserved.
PETA is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide websites with a means to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.