1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. curry powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 medium bay leaf
1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup chopped basil, plus more for garnish
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the curry and garlic, and toast about 30 seconds. Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
• Add the bay leaf, carrots, and broth. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the carrots are soft, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
• Place the mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Slowly add the coconut milk, blending until very smooth.
• Pour into a clean pot and return to the stove over medium heat. Add the chopped basil and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
• Garnish with basil and serve.