Tempeh Tequila Taco SlidersPrint
- 1 pkg. tempeh (try Lightlife brand), sliced into strip
- 1 Tbsp. neutral-tasting oil (safflower or refined coconut)
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thinly sliced strips
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. tequila
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. brown rice syrup
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup soy milk creamer (try Wildwood brand)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. finely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. dried ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 8–10 mini organic corn tortillas
- 1/4 head green and/or purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Add 1 inch of water to a 6-quart pot and place a steamer basket inside. Bring to a simmer with the lid on. Steam the soy tempeh for about 5 to 7 minutes. Roughly chop when cooled slightly, then set aside.
- Heat a skillet and add the oil. Sauté the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tempeh, 1/3 cup of the tequila, brown rice syrup, lemon juice, soy milk creamer, sea salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and cinnamon. Cook until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the remaining tequila during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from the heat.
- To form the tacos, add the tempeh mixture to the tortillas. Top with the cabbage, tomato, and vegan sour cream.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
© Spork Foods, 2013