1 8-oz. pkg. organic tempeh
1 Tbsp. organic extra-virgin coconut oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2-1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. thyme
8 oz. shiitake or crimini mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup marsala wine
1 15-oz. can organic chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp. organic sugar (try Rapadura brand)
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Crumble the tempeh in a food processor by pulsing 5 or 6 times.
• In a medium pan over medium heat, combine the oil and tempeh and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, spices, and mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes.
• Add the wines and let simmer for 5 minutes, or until the wine has evaporated.
• Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar, cover, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Season with the salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings