1 zucchini, cubed
1 sweet potato, cubed
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 Tbsp. oil
1/4 cup water
1 (15 oz.) can chick peas
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. each: allspice, ground ginger, turmeric, and paprika
1/4 tsp. each: salt, cayenne, and cinnamon
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
2 cups uncooked couscous
1/2 cup raisins
• Sauté the zucchini, sweet potato, and garlic in the oil until partially cooked, about 5 minutes. Use water as necessary to keep the vegetables from sticking.
• Drain and rinse the chick peas.
• Add the spices, chick peas, and peppers to the pan. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
• Meanwhile, place the couscous and raisins in another saucepan. Add enough water so that the couscous is covered by about 1/2 inch. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover tightly, remove from the heat, and let set at least 10 minutes.
• Remove the cover from the pepper/chick pea mixture, stir, and cook a few minutes longer to heat thoroughly and thicken.
• Serve the bean-pepper stew over the couscous.
Makes 4 servings