Sweet Potato and Avocado SandwichPrint
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3 slices about 2 inches thick
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. mustard
- 1 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 red onion slices
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 4 tomato slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan Monterey Jack cheese (try Follow Your Heart brand)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded lettuce
- Cook the sweet potato slices in boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water, then drain again. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut each slice into two thinner slices.
- Whisk together the mustard and vegan mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Spread the mustard mixture on two of the bread slices. Top each with half of the onion slices, avocado slices, and tomato slices. Sprinkle lightly with the salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of sweet potato slices and half of the “cheese” and lettuce to each sandwich. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
Makes 2 servings.