1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup white onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 cups arborio rice
1/3 cup white wine
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 quarts carrot stock
1 cup carrot juice
1/4 cup diced carrots
Salt, to taste
1 Tbsp. fresh-picked thyme
• In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, then add the garlic.
• Add the rice to the skillet and cook until coated in oil and almost translucent.
• Add the wine and continue to stir until the liquid has evaporated.
• Add the lemon juice and continue to stir until the liquid has evaporated.
• Slowly add simmering carrot stock to the skillet in 1-cup increments. When you have added half the stock, pour the carrot juice into the remaining stock, stir, and then continue to add the stock/juice mixture in 1-cup increments until only 1 cup remains.
• Add the diced carrots and then add the remaining stock.
• When there is very little liquid left in the pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and salt, to taste.
• Remove from heat and split into four portions.
• Garnish with Carrot Ribbons, Carrot Dumplings, and fresh thyme.
Makes 4 servings