Sushi Burger (Vegan + Gluten-Free)Print
- 1 cup sushi rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mirin
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp. wasabi or wasabi powder
- 1 tsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- Pickled ginger, to taste
- Shredded red cabbage, to taste
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a bowl, mix together the rice, vinegar, sugar, and salt, then refrigerate.
- Combine the coconut oil, garlic, tamari, mirin, and brown sugar in a small pot or skillet. Add the mushrooms and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes over low heat.
- Mash the avocado and wasabi together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together the vegan mayo and Sriracha. Set aside.
- Wet your hands and the inside of a small bowl with some water. Pack 1/2 cup rice into the bottom of the bowl as tightly as possible. Flip over and gently tap the bottom until the rice “bun” pops out. Repeat with the remaining rice.
- Spread the wasabi-avocado mixture on one of the “buns.” Then top with the mushrooms, Sriracha-mayo mixture, ginger, and shredded cabbage.
- Place the other “bun” on top and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Enjoy with chopsticks. This one’s messy!
Makes 1 burger