1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. soy saucev 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil, divided
3 or 4 dried red chilies
2 thin slices ginger, about 2 inches by 1 inch, cut into matchsticks
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb. vegetarian steak, cut into thin strips (try VEGE Steak)
1 Tbsp. rice wine or dry sherry
1 lb. bok choy, sliced on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths
1/2 tsp. sugar
• In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil, and water.
• Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the chilies, ginger, garlic, “steak” strips, and rice wine.
• Stir-fry, turning often with a slotted spoon, until the liquid evaporates, about 2 to 3 minutes.
• Transfer to a plate and wipe out the skillet. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oil and heat over high heat. Add the bok choy and sugar and quickly stir-fry, just to coat in the oil, about 30 seconds. Cover and steam-cook for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on how crisp you want the bok choy.
• Add the cornstarch mixture and cook for a few seconds, until glossy.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Per serving: 194 calories (60 percent from fat), 13.7 g fat (2.5 g saturated, 5.3 g monounsaturated), 0 g cholesterol, 10.1 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 1.3 g fiber, 75.3 mg sodium.