1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
Dash of salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, softened
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup soy milk or rice milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (be sure to thaw them if frozen)
• Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a cookie sheet lightly with margarine or oil.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
• Add the sugar, margarine, lemon juice, and soy milk or rice milk and mix until just combined.
• Stir in the berries and gently mix. Do not overmix.
• Drop the dough in 6 or 7 circular clumps on the cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
*Variation: You can use raspberries instead of blueberries, or you can use both.
Makes 6 to 7 scones