For the Soy Chicken and Beef:
1 1/4 cups firm tofu
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. boiled shitake mushroom stems
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. dark soy sauce
• Put all the ingredients, except for the dark soy sauce, into a blender or food processor and blend coarsely.
• Remove 1/2 from the blender and set aside to use for the “chicken.” For the “beef,” add the dark soy sauce to the blender and blend until well combined.
• Wrap each tightly with cheesecloth and steam for 20 minutes. Slice and then brown in a skillet with a little oil. Set aside.
For the Stir-Fry:
2 Tbsp. cold water
2 tsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ketchup
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 medium green bell pepper, sliced
1/2 medium red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 medium pineapple, sliced
• Combine the water, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce in a wok or frying pan and heat on high.
• Add the “chicken” and “beef” and stir-fry until covered with the sauce. Add the peppers and pineapple and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, being careful not to overcook. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings