For the Tempeh:
5 lbs. tempeh, cut on a diagonal into 1×3-inch slices
1 qt. soy sauce
2 qts. water
1 large knob fresh ginger
2 whole oranges, peeled and segmented
• Place all the ingredients in a saucepot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the tempeh has softened.
• Remove the tempeh and reserve the liquid. Set the tempeh aside to cool.
For the Stir-Fry:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 lbs. frozen stir-fry vegetable mix, thawed
3 Tbsp. fresh garlic
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
Cooking liquid from the tempeh
1 qt. Minor’s prepared teriyaki sauce
4 Tbsp. cornstarch and 4 Tbsp. water, mixed as a slurry
Cooked brown rice
• Place the oil on a flat-top griddle along with the vegetables and tempeh and cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
• Add the garlic and ginger and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
• Place in a hotel pan to keep warm.
• Strain the cooking liquid into a pot and combine with the Minor’s sauce.
• Bring to a simmer, whisk in the slurry, and return to a simmer to fully thicken.
• Pour over the vegetables and tempeh, toss well, and serve over cooked brown rice.
Makes approximately 25 servings