For the Batter:
1 Tbsp. corn flour
2 Tbsp. plain flour
Salt, to taste
1 1/2 cups water
• In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
For the Vegetables:
Oil for deep-frying
1 1/2 cups eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups chopped button mushrooms
1 1/2 cups tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. minced green chilies
1 Tbsp. vegetarian oyster sauce
1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. ketchup
1 tsp. sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup roasted cashews
1 Tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
• In a heavy skillet over medium heat, heat the oil for frying.
• Dip the chopped vegetables and tofu into the prepared batter and deep-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until light brown. Drain on paper towels and then place on a serving plate. Set aside.
• In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the sesame oil. Add the garlic and chilies, stirring for 1 minute.
• Stir in the oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and ketchup. Add the sugar, salt, and pepper.
• Pour over the fried vegetables and tofu just before serving. Top with the cashews and sesame seeds and serve hot with steamed rice.
Makes 4 servings