For the Sauce:
1 cup tahini paste
5 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. minced Kaffir lime leaves
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 Tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
1 1/2 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
• Combine all the ingredients, except for the oil, in a food processor and blend until smooth.
• While the machine is running, drizzle in the oil to form an emulsion.
For the Satays:
2 lbs. seitan, cut into 1/2-inch by 2 1/2-inch strips
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp. mirin
12 to 14 coconut-lime skewers
• Thread the seitan on the skewers.
• Combine the oils, soy sauce, and mirin in a bowl and marinate the skewers for 2 hours.
• Remove from the marinade and grill or sear on each side for 3 minutes, or until the seitan is browned.
• Serve with the dipping sauce.
Makes approximately 12 to 14 skewers