For the Glaze:
12 whole garlic cloves
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cups balsamic vinegar
1 cup dry port wine
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
• Place the garlic cloves and oil in a shallow baking dish. Cover with foil and roast at 325°F for 25 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and browned. Set aside.
• Mix the vinegar, wine, brown sugar, and salt together in a saucepan and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until reduced by 3/4 and syrupy.
• Mash the garlic into a smooth paste and mix well into the glaze.
For the Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs. prepared seitan
2 large sweet onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 yellow peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 1/2 lbs. whole cherry tomatoes
1 lb. whole crimini mushrooms
10 garlic-herb or bamboo skewers
1/4 cup olive oil
• Thread the seitan, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms on the skewers.
• Brush with the olive oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until the vegetables are softened and the seitan is browned.
• Brush with the prepared glaze and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until caramelized.
• Brush with additional glaze and serve immediately.
Makes 10 skewers